Tuesday, October 18, 2011

October's Spotlight - Andrea Warner

This month, I have the pleasure of introducing Andrea Warner, a survivor and member of Lifting Hearts. This year, at the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk, Andrea spoke. Instead of the usual interview questions, I'd like to share her talk with you. I hope you enjoy learning more about Andrea...



Thank you for coming today to participate in this Making Strides event. I know that each of you has come here as a survivor or a person supporting a survivor of breast cancer.

I believe that each person is a survivor every day. Sometimes our battles are obvious, such as cancer or chronic illness, but each time that we press forward, get out of bed or fight our private battles we are survivors. So to each and every one of us I say, congratulations!!!!

We have come here today to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Some of you have experienced the programs offered by ACS, but many of you have not. I want to tell you of two programs that I was able to benefit from.

The first was Reach to Recovery. This is where a person who is at least a year out of treatment is matched with a newly diagnosed individual. This program assists with the transitions necessary to navigate the cancer experience and gives the newly diagnosed person an opportunity to connect with someone who has made it to the other side of the journey. This meant so much to me to have hope and a sister to lead the way. I now am a coordinator in Utah County for this program and love the opportunity to give back and be a mentor to someone else in this experience.

I also really enjoyed the class called Look Good, Feel Better. This was great for me because I learned how to use scarves and hats to look better and feel more comfortable going out when I was follicularly challenged! On some of the hardest days, I was able to get up and shower and used the mantra, LOOK GOOD, FEEL BETTER! I may not have been able to do anything else that day, but this mantra got me through many days and the class served me very well.

These are two of the programs that ACS provides. There are many more services offered and many ways people can be served. This fundraiser is one of the biggest sources for funds, so thank you for your donations.

I have also been asked to take just a moment to speak of my journey. My experience started as so many others with the finding of a lump. My family has an extensive history of breast cancer, My mother had and survived breast cancer more than 20 years ago, so this was not a surprise to me. I went to the doctor and had confirmation of the cancer. I had to make some decisions and with genetic testing and BRCA 1 positive results I decided my course. My twin sister and mother were also positive for BRCA 1 mutation, so we all had several surgeries and much recovery. We were able to support each other in this journey. For this I am grateful. My father told me recently that with my cancer and several trying life experiences this was the worst 2 1/2 years of my life. I told him that I do not agree. I feel that due to this experience and the many gifts of love and service I received, I am now a better and stronger person. I live, really live from moment to moment and am so grateful to have had this journey and to learned these lessons. I got to hear from so many people what I mean to them and how I have touched their lives. I would not have heard these things or had the chance to receive such love without this opportunity. I have also realized the gift that every day is to me. So for this I say thank you and I am, as the name of my team states, Walking in Gratitude.

Thank you again for your time and your support and especially I say thank you and I love you to my friends and family who have been here for me every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment