Wednesday, April 18, 2012

April's Spotlight - Kathy Christensen

It's been awhile since I've interviewed a survivor, and I thought it would be fun to get to know Kathy Christensen, who writes our guest posts on Thursday Thoughts. Enjoy the interview...



Lifting Hearts: "What were you diagnosed with, and what treatments did you have? Who were your doctors?"


Kathy: "My cancer journey began on December 10, 2008, when a mammogram revealed a very small tumor (under 1 cm) in my left breast. Because it had not reached the nodes, I was spared the experience of Chemotherapy. It had, however, broken free and was growing, so after my lumpectomy, I completed a series of radiation treatments. Thankfully, I was able to keep working full time at the bank throughout this experience. My surgeon was Dr. Tittensor, and I also worked with Dr. Nathan Rich and Dr. Jay Clark. I enjoyed my association with all of them very much."


Lifting Hearts: "How did your cancer diagnosis affect your family and friends?"


Kathy: "My diagnosis came out of nowhere as a total shock for all of us. My family was wonderfully supportive. They were all there for the surgery. My oldest son, Ryan, even flew out from NYC where he works to be with me. It was difficult for all of them, but they stood strongly behind me. My middle son, Matthew, entered the surgery waiting room with an emphatic exclamation: "We are going to kick Cancer's ass!" Needless to say, he livened up the mood in that most solemn place."


Lifting Hearts: "What was the hardest thing you had to go through during your cancer journey?

What helped get you through it?"


Kathy: "I think that the hardest thing for me was to tell everyone in my family. I knew that everybody was busy living their lives and dealing with their own "bag of rocks" and they really did not need this additional worry. My husband was the one who convinced me that I needed to tell all of them. He sat right beside me as I did it.


Their reactions varied greatly. My sister and oldest son immediately broke in to tears. Anne (my sister) said as only she can, "You really shit in my cornflakes this morning!" I think Nick (my youngest son) hit the nail on the head when he said, "Mom... I am keying my emotions off of you... and you seem fine." I was, in fact, blessed with a remarkable peace through this entire scenario. I know that it was my faith and relationship with God that carried me through. Calling them all was one of the hardest things I have ever done and after hours on the phone, I collapsed in complete emotional exhaustion."


Lifting Hearts: "How did your cancer diagnosis change your life?"


Kathy: "In some ways, my cancer has been a blessing in my life. I now appreciate the simple joys in life much more... things like sunsets, flowers, or lying in the sun on a summer afternoon when we go fishing. My perspective was strengthened regarding the things that really matter. My sister and I are closer now than we have ever been. We have always loved each other, but now we tell each other often."


Lifting Hearts: "What did you learn during your cancer journey?"


Kathy: "During my cancer journey I learned (or relearned) the value of my faith. I now appreciate it at an entirely new level. I learned that comfort is not necessary for survival and that with divine help, love and support we can all do hard things. Since my surgery I am kinder to myself. I don't push so hard (quite a change for a type A personality like me!). I realize that my health is a precious gift and that no one else is going to be able to help me if I don't take care of myself. I have realized once again, the importance of developing and keeping a positive mental attitude and keeping my relationship with God strong and in tune."


Lifting Hearts: "Do you have a favorite book or quote or song that became meaningful to you during your cancer journey?"


Kathy: "Two books really resonated with me during my cancer journey. They are "Tuesdays With Morrie" by Mitch Albom, and "Letters to Sam" by Daniel Gottlieb. I would recommend both of them to anyone. They both are true stories that deal with handling difficult circumstances in a most positive way. If you want to know more... read BOTH of them. I guarantee you won't be disappointed."


Lifting Hearts: "What advice would you give to a woman who is newly diagnosed with breast cancer? What advice would you give to friends and family of a newly diagnosed breast cancer patient?"


Kathy: "To women and families who are facing breast cancer now or in the future, I would say embrace the experience and don't fight it (except medically, of course). You can wrestle with it, fight with it, and be miserable, or you can step up to the plate, dance with it, and learn the many lessons it can teach you."


Lifting Hearts: "Finish this sentence… “I am a…”


Kathy: "I am a lot of things now. I am a mother, a wife, a grandmother, and aspiring writer, a banker, a cancer survivors, the poster child for mammograms, and I am a much better and wiser person, because I had cancer."



No comments:

Post a Comment